Work With Us
We enable authentic community – places where people can evolve together on a daily basis. We see our team as a community itself, and an opportunity to practice growth and development. We are headquartered in Oakland, CA with properties and team members in the Bay Area, Portland and Seattle.
OpenDoor develops and operates collaborative living (“coliving”) spaces. Our homes bring people together to connect, share, and build meaningful relationships with one another. Our mission is to empower more people to live with a greater sense of connection and purpose. While our business model is in real estate, the core of our offering is around people and community.
Our Coliving Model
“You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with”
— Jim Rohn
Our coliving homes are shared houses or apartments where members rent private rooms, while coming together to share meals, common spaces, socialize, and more. We provide a myriad of services to make the resident experience both easier and better; from beautifully furnished common areas and business-class wifi to fun community events and programs. Residents gain access to a desirable lifestyle and valuable shared amenities at an affordable cost of living.
Working at OpenDoor
We are a mission-driven company, passionate about our offering, the organization we’re building, and how it contributes to people’s lives. We work hard and love what we do.
We are a collaborative team. We work with a high degree of communication, accountability, and integrity. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere in the organization.
We are a startup. Our workplace is a dynamic environment and roles are not rigid. Every person on our team matters and is trusted to contribute in a myriad of ways.
We are growing. We currently have eight properties across Oakland, Berkeley, San Francisco and Portland, OR, with many more in the pipeline.
We are a learning organization, always looking for ways to improve our business, our systems, and ourselves.
We love our people. We believe people do their best work when they are fully supported, respected, and able to live a balanced life. We allow for flexible work hours and travel schedules that support the whole person, as long as the job gets done.
We are bringing on a full-time team member to manage day-to-day operations and customer service for our coliving properties in the Bay Area, Portland, and Seattle. As Property Manager, you will be responsible for managing the maintenance, leasing, reporting and basic accounting + AR/AP of our properties. In addition, you will be the main point of contact with our existing residents.
- Customer Service – Respond to requests and issues from residents via Slack & email in a professional and timely manner
- Maintenance – Coordinate repairs, maintenance and cleaning: respond to requests from residents, manage vendors to perform the work; build and maintain relationships with trusted vendors
- Leasing, Billing, & Payments – Manage resident leasing, billing, and payments via our dedicated property management software system; managing room turnover and resident onboarding/offboarding.
- Property Management – manage/pay all property expenses (property taxes, utilities, insurance, etc), manage/pay all local licenses and taxes, track basic property financials, manage monthly reporting & payments to owners, manage bookkeeping in partnership with our bookkeeper.
- New Property Setup – support the OpenDoor launch team during the process of starting new coliving homes; including prepping the house for move-in, setting up the utility & internet accounts, signing up and onboarding new residents, and logging all property information, units, and pricing in our property management system.
- Organized – This job is all about keeping track of details, managing company processes, responding to requests in a timely manner, and making sure things get done correctly.
- Self-Motivated + Responsible – Pulls work to themselves, does not require oversight to be effective, takes a strong sense of ownership, owns their mistakes, creative problem solver that doesn’t get stopped easily.
- Collaborative – team player, supports and builds off of others, non-territorial, willing to step outside your specific role to problem-solve
- Desire for Growth – We are looking for someone to grow with our company as we heading into a major growth phase. The ideal candidate is eager to take on different roles within the company and believes that most things are trainable.
Professional Skills & Experience
- Property Management – 3+ years managing properties, ideally 5+ years. Understanding of how rental properties work, basics of leasing laws and tenants rights, maintenance & repairs, and basic accounts + financial management
- Basic Knowledge of Building Systems – Practical, hands-on experience with building systems (plumbing, electric, keys, etc), sufficient to be able to address maintenance issues and needs
- Accounting – Understanding of basic accounting, proficiency in reading financial statements, experience with managing the accounting for rental properties
- Appfolio Property Management Software – proficiency in AppFolio strongly preferred, though will consider a tech-savvy person with experience in other property management software
- Highly Computer Literate – able to elegantly incorporate our multiple modern cloud software tools into operations, learn new tools quickly. A digital native.
- Ideal candidate is located in the San Francisco Bay Area
- For the foreseeable future, this role will be a work-from-home role, though will require regular visits to properties for tours, maintenance issues, and the like
- Will require periodic travel to our other markets, approximately on a quarterly basis
- Salary competitive depending on experience
- Healthcare coverage, including healthcare and dental
- Flexible work and travel policy